Do Penguins Have… A Book Release?


In two more weeks my book Do Penguins Have Pediatricians? is officially released! It’s about penguins and other antarctic/arctic animals. It’s even got a wolverine! I’m really excited about this one and I had a ton of fun making the art for it,  I really can’t wait to share it with the world. If you enjoyed Did Dinosaurs Have Dentists? then I think you’re going to love this one.

Everything just came together very nicely and my vision for the book was absolutely clear to me this time around; I didn’t even have to send the publisher or author any sketches or storyboards because it was trusted I knew how to handle the story (although I still made them for my own visual process and sent them  along to the author). I was given a lot of freedom to just do what I do and I think the results turned out fantastic! Schiffer even let me have creative control to design much of the book itself (end papers, bio page, back cover, etc). When I designed the image for the back cover I added somewhat of an easter egg. Can you find it?

I couldn’t be more grateful to all the folks at Schiffer for letting me work on it and also Patrick O’Donnell for trusting me with his wonderfully funny children’s books. Really am stoked about this cute sequel and hope you are too! Follow the link if you’d like more info, and as always, thanks for reading!


My First SCBWI Chapter Meeting


I might have mentioned I had a couple children’s books published (hee hee) but I am also a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators and there is a Southwest chapter right here in San Antonio! Well, I recently had a chance to attend an awesome workshop they put together for our chapter here at the University of Incarnate Word. Our Regional Advisor Ms. Lupe Ruiz-Flores was the speaker on the topics of book launches, school visits, and beyond. It was a great time and I even connected with a couple awesome authors while I was there. Thanks to all who helped put it together! (oh, and there I am in the far back on the left, I’m the tall dark figure lol.)



HijoleSa had their monthly first Friday show and this month it was “Habitats”. I was pleased to be able to join the other artists in their show with my painting (a commission piece I happened to be working on and not for sale) A lot of gallery goers were heard saying things like: “ah man, not for sale”… sorry folks this baby has a home already!

New Studio


I was recently invited to join a group of other local artists at their collective studio/gallery downtown at the Blue Star Arts Complex in San Antonio! The studio, located in the upstairs section of the complex is called HijoleSA and I couldn’t be more honored and excited to share this space with these great artists.

I’ll be working hard in the coming months to produce some more art so stay tuned if you would like to see what’s going on. I already have a commission piece underway which I’m working on right now and have  another one right behind it!

My First Children’s Book! “Did Dinosaurs Have Dentists?” Available Sep. 28th, 2018


Did a triceratops use a toothpick? Did a pterodactyl need fluoride?

A big thanks to author Patrick O’Donnell for allowing me the pleasure to work on the illustrations for his book, “Did Dinosaurs Have Dentists?” Also available on Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, and most major retailers on September 28th. I really had such a blast working on it.

Completed Painting for Page Middle School!

Last August I was commissioned by a friend to do a painting for her 7th grade science class. She’s a first year teacher at Page MS (which is an at risk school, ie: dropout rates are high) and she wanted to do something special to show her kids how much she cares (it’s really sweet of her). I haven’t spoke to her in awhile to see how her first year teaching is going but last time I did things seemed to be going better (yay!). It must be extremely challenging to teach children, especially in those circustances. So, my respect to all you educators out there! If you ever need some classroom decoration I give special discounts to teachers.
The concept was pretty simple; she wanted a large painting of outer space and a child (non-gender specific) to be blowing bubbles and the bubbles would be the planets of the solar system. Numbers were later incorporated into the design and we decided to exclude some other elements. This is the finished painting. It took around 10-20 hours over the course of about 2 weeks. I worked on it everyday before work. This is my first post so stay tuned for more, I’ll try to update as I get more projects completed.
6’x3′ Acrylic on Canvas